Customizing Your Chat Widget
Your Chat Widget may be one of the first interactions a visitor has with your brand. Give them a consistent experience by customizing your widget to reflect your brand’s colors, images, and personality.
In this article:
- Changing the Widget Appearance
- Setting Default Messages
- Advanced Settings
- Adding Pre- and Post-Chat Forms
- Private Forms
Changing the Widget Appearance
Make your widget a beautiful reflection of your brand. Head to Settings > Messenger Setup > Chat Widget to get started.
In the ‘Appearance’ tab, choose a launcher icon, primary color, text color, and widget position. All changes will show live in the Widget preview.
Click ‘Save Settings’ when you’ve completed making changes.
Want more flexibility? Custom CSS can be added to style the widget, including the launcher icon, in Settings > Messenger Setup > Advanced Settings.
Setting Default Messages
Head back to Settings > Messenger Setup > Chat Widget. In the ‘Default Messages’ tab you can modify the text that appears in the widget:
Greeting appears at the top of the widget when the launcher icon is clicked.
Team Intro appears below the Greeting.
Conversation is the header for the chat history section.
New Conversation is the button label for starting a chat.
Launcher Text controls the button label if you use a ‘Regular’ launcher icon.
Message Placeholder is what shows in the text area before visitors begin typing.
Configure additional settings in your widget in the ‘Advanced’ tab. Here you can:
Display profile pictures before and during chats using:
- Show user picture.
- Show company logo. Note: this overrides user pictures.
- Show user thumbnail. Note: this displays all available users in the widget before a chat is initiated.
Customize visibility by using:
- Show privacy link in widget to give visitors quick access to your policy.
- Hide widget on mobile devices.
- Hide widget for web visitors.
- Offline form displays when all users are unavailable.
Configure conversations by using:
- Chat transcript for visitors, which allows visitors to request a transcript be sent to their email.
- Allow single thread to collapse all live chats with a visitor into a single conversation. This only affects the front end view for the visitor.
- Clear chat history for visitor after session ends removes the conversation from the visitor’s view.
- Unsave widget state to return the chat widget to default settings when a visitor reloads the page or visits a new page.
Adding Pre- and Post-Chat Forms
In the ‘Chat Form’ tab you can configure forms to capture visitor details before and after conversations. Learn how to configure chat forms here →
Most companies have forms embedded somewhere on their website. Integrate visitor details from these forms into Acquire by using the Private Forms setting. With this setting enabled, you can skip asking visitors for info your company already has, and you’ll always be building complete contact profiles in Acquire, regardless of whether forms live in or outside of our platform.
In the ‘Private Form’ tab, toggle the switch on (green). Then include or exclude specific forms using the form_ID from the website and/or embed code. Form IDs may look like:
Note: All fields in a form will be captured using this setting. Exclude forms that capture sensitive details.